Today, February 2, is International Crêpe Day , and we bring you some tricks to make perfect crepes from the first moment, and the basic and easy crepe recipe so that you can start enjoying crepes at home from now on.
A crepe is one of the easiest sweets to make based on flour, eggs, milk... And in the form of a perfect disc to fill to your liking!
To make crepes and make them come out scrumptious there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Once the ingredients are mixed, it is important to let the dough rest for at least half an hour, to ensure that the flour hydrates.
- It is interesting to have a crepe maker , which is nothing more than a pan with low sides, which will allow you to spread and, above all, rotate the crepe without difficulty and quickly, so that you get perfect crepes.
- Don't overfill batter - you'll normally coat the surface of the crepe maker by filling 3/4 of a ladle. Do not put more than that at the beginning, or the pancakes will be too thick.
- It is important, before incorporating the crepe batter, that the crepe maker is very hot : the crepe batter will lower the temperature of the pan a lot, so it is important to have it very hot from the start to properly toast the batter and make wonderful crepes in a few minutes.
We leave you the basic recipe to make crepes at home, and at the end you will find some ideas to fill them.
250ml whole milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
140 gr of wheat flour
1 tablespoon white sugar
a pinch of salt
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients with the help of a hand or electric mixer. You will get a very liquid whitish mass.
Let the dough rest for at least half an hour.
Put the Efficient crepe maker on the fire until it is very hot.
With the help of a ladle (filling it about 3/4 of its capacity), pour the batter into the crepe maker and, moving it or with the help of a crepe rake, spread the batter over the entire surface. Let it be done on that side.
When you start to notice that the ends rise up and come off the crepe, it is time to turn it: insert a long spatula, lift the crepe and turn it in a quick movement. Let it be done on the second side.
When you see it done, remove the crepe from the pan, and pour another ladle of batter, and so on until you make as many as you want.
- We suggest you make your first orange crepe: peel and slice an orange, and arrange the cuts on the crepe. On top, pour honey making several zigzags through the crepe -You will see what a delicious breakfast!
- Surely the first crepe will come out a little thicker than desired. It is normal! Look at the amount of dough you incorporate to adapt it in the following batches and that they come out perfect.
- While you are making the crepes, we recommend that you keep the ones that are already made on a plate covered with a clean cotton cloth. They will stay warm but perspire, keeping them delicious.
- If you don't want to use all of the dough on the same day, store it in a closed, airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. When you go to make it, remove the container from the refrigerator half an hour beforehand so that the dough is tempered before putting it in the pan, to avoid sudden contrasts with the pan, which, as we have said, will have to be very hot.
Filling ideas for your crepes
- Sweet Crepe Ideas:
Fill your crepes with cream, cream, your favorite jam , hazelnut and cocoa cream or melted white chocolate.
Simply with some honey or maple syrup , or sprinkle sugar on top of the pancake to discover the pleasure of the simplest.
Also with fruits (strawberries, peaches, bananas, pears...), all of them are delicious in contrast to the crepe dough, and if you add a little melted chocolate on top or a splash of honey, you will see that you are left with luxury with your friends and family.
The nuts, bathed in a dash of honey , also go very well with the flavor of the crepes.
Of course, you can make a mix of all of this: fruit with cream, fruit with hazelnut cream...
- Savory crepe ideas - some classic fillings:
Ham and cheese crepe
Cheese and mushroom crepe
Grilled Chicken Strips Crepe with Cheese
Sirloin crepe with caramelized onion
Green salad crepe with tomato and corn
Salmon crepe with fine herbs and cheese
The world of pancakes is infinite. We encourage you to start and discover your favorite combinations. From sweet to savory, with a crepe you can make scandalous breakfasts or the easiest and most successful dinners. Happy pancake day!