When summer arrives there is nothing better than preparing rice for friends, the heat and good company are the ideal complement to share this delicious rice.
• 200g of bomba rice
• 1 large garlic
• 1 small onion
• 1 dessert spoon of ñora meat
• 1 dessert spoonful of tomato concentrate
• 3 tablespoons of crushed tomato
• 1 teaspoon of cuttlefish ink
• 4 artichokes
• 400g of squid
• 400g of small red shrimp
• 1 liter of fish stock
• Fresh chives
• Fresh parsley
• Extra virgin olive oil
1. To make good rice we like to have the mice en place ready so that we can then focus on the rice, so we start by cleaning and cutting the artichokes and leaving them in a bowl with cold water and a few sprigs of parsley.
2. We continue cleaning the squid and cutting the bodies into not very large rings.
3. Peel the prawns, remove their guts and cut them in half lengthwise without completely separating the two pieces. We are placing the bodies of the prawns on transparent film forming a circle without touching each other.
4. We cover with another piece of film and crush with a kitchen hammer or with a kitchen saucepan. Once we have the carpaccio ready, we place it on a plate or tray and take it to the freezer until it is time to use it.
5. We put the fumet on the fire in a pot to have it hot when we need it and now! We can start with the rice.
6. We place our Foodie paella pan on the fire. Add 4 tablespoons of oil and add the finely chopped garlic, let it brown slightly and add the finely chopped onion, fry over medium-low heat until it begins to caramelize. You will see that it begins to take on a nice golden color.
7. Next, add the squid and brown well while stirring. Once they begin to brown, add the artichokes and brown them along with the squid. To make a good rice you have to be patient, the final result will be well worth it. After about 20 minutes we incorporate the tomato paste and the ñora meat, stir well and add the crushed tomato, let it cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat.
8. Next we add the ink and the rice and stir until the rice is completely pearly, that is, it takes on a transparent color.
9. Then we add the fumet and let it cook for 18 minutes, the first 9 minutes over high heat. And then we lower the heat a little and continue cooking. When there are 2 minutes left to finish the time, we take the prawn carpaccio out of the freezer, remove the film and place it on our rice.
10.Once the time is up, remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
11.Sprinkle a little chopped fresh chives and decorate with a few dots of aioli, serve in the center of the table with the rest of the alioli in a bowl so that each diner can help himself to taste.
12. Bon appetit! And may this rice be the first of many this summer.
Photography and recipe by MJ .