Monte Cristo sandwich
The Monte Cristo sandwich is of American origin, although at first glance it may seem like a mixed sandwich, it is much more than that. We can say that this is the American version of the French croque monsieur.
• 6 slices of crustless sliced bread
• 4 thick slices of cooked ham
• 50 g grated mozzarella cheese
• 50 g grated emmental cheese
• 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
• 2 eggs
• 2 tablespoons of milk
• Black pepper
1. Each sandwich is made up of 3 slices of bread that we are going to place on the work table. We start by mixing both cheeses in a bowl.
2. We spread each slice with mayonnaise and cover one of them with a mixture of both grated cheeses.
3. Next, place a slice of cooked ham and cover with another slice of sliced bread, ensuring that the part spread with mayonnaise is on top.
4. We fill the entire surface with the grated cheese mixture and then we put another slice of cooked ham, we cover the surface with the cheese mixture again and finish by placing the last slice of bread but this time with the part painted with mayonnaise face down .
5. Prepare the other sandwich in the same way and flatten them slightly with your hand.
6. In a bowl, beat the eggs together with the milk and add black pepper to taste.
7. We bathe the sandwiches in this beaten egg mixture. Put a knob of butter on the smooth ADVANCED grill and cook the sandwiches on the grill, making sure they brown on both sides and also on the sides. We serve immediately.
Photography and recipe by MJ .