Rice with coconut milk and passion fruit
Traditional dishes are an inexhaustible source of inspiration in the kitchen. This dish today is clearly based on traditional rice pudding, but with a different twist. The rice cooks slowly in coconut milk and is finished with the macacuyá pulp. The acid from the fruit gives a delicious flavor to the creamy rice.
- 150 g round rice
- 400 ml of whole milk
- 300 ml of coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 140g sugar
- 25g grated coconut
- 3 passion fruit
- put a fire on tall Efficient saucepan with a liter and a half of water and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, add the rice and cook for 12 minutes. Drain well.
- In the same Efficient saucepan put the milk, coconut milk, cinnamon, sugar and parboiled rice. Let it boil.
- When it starts to boil, lower the heat and start moving the rice. This will help the rice loosen the starch and become creamy. Cook until almost all the liquid has been consumed (about 30 minutes).
- When the rice is ready, let it cool completely.
- Cut the passion fruit and remove the pulp. Pour it over the rice pudding and serve.
- Another option is to boil the passion fruit pulp with two tablespoons of sugar. In this way we will obtain a jam to accompany our rice pudding. But I prefer that acid contrast of macacuyá.
Photographs and recipe by Loleta .