If there is a typical Christmas dish, especially in Catalonia, it is cannelloni. We can make them stuffed with practically whatever we want, but today, we wanted to share with you the roasted cannelloni that are the most typical and for us the richest, we have also given it a festive touch by incorporating foie.
For 36 cannelloni:
- 500 gr of chicken meat (thigh or breast)
- 500 kg of lean pork
- 3 chicken livers
- 36 pre-cooked cannelloni wafers
- 100 gr of foie mi cuit
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 60 ml of white wine
- 200 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- Black pepper
For the bechamel:
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 50 grams of butter
- 100 g of wheat flour
- 800 ml of milk
- Black pepper
- Heat a 24 cm high Efficient Plus saucepan and add the oil.
- Peel and julienne the onion, add the minced garlic and fry. Once the onion is fried, add the well washed, peeled and chopped tomatoes. We fry for 5 minutes. Add the meat cut into cubes and previously seasoned. Remove and add the bay leaf, the white wine and cook for 30-40 minutes over medium heat. We are controlling, and if we see that it is too dry, we can add a little water.
We remove the bay leaf, and grind, although before we remove a little of the broth and we will add it if we consider it necessary.
- Pour hot water into a flat glass tray and add the cannelloni wafers one by one, leave them for 20 minutes in total and move them every 5 minutes so they don't stick. After the time we will place them one by one on a clean kitchen cloth.
- For the bechamel, pour the oil and butter into a Professional pot of 20 cm, when it has melted, add the flour and stir until the flour has changed color.
- Then pour the milk at room temperature or lukewarm and stir. Season to taste and add nutmeg to taste.
- Cook over medium-low heat until thickened, stirring constantly so it doesn't stick, and remove from heat.
- Once the filling is cold, we put a handful at one end of each cannelloni and we roll them up and place them in the tray where we are going to gratin them. We can make individual portions or bake large quantities if we are going to eat many. On this occasion we have placed them in our Gastronorm oven tray .
- Sauce with the bechamel sauce and grate our favorite cheese on top, we have put Parmesan.
Photographs and recipe by MJ .