In less than two weeks Halloween arrives and with it the desire to prepare terrifying desserts, made with typical autumn ingredients. Today we propose a recipe together with Cookiteca that you can also prepare together with your children.
The recipe for spiced pumpkin and apple cupcakes is a recipe that you can later use to prepare a sponge cake, you can decorate it with cream cheese or with some type of glaze that you like the most.
Remember that you can buy your Halloween kits and everything you need for baking and cooking, as well as Efficient products from BRA in the physical and online stores of Cookietheque .
Video recipe: (ingredients and step by step below the video below)
For the cake:
- 330 grams of flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons Royal-type baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch of ground cloves (not essential)
- 225 gr of butter at room temperature
- 225 gr of normal white sugar
- 200 gr of brown sugar
- 4 eggs M
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
- 250 ml pumpkin puree (recipe below)
- 125 ml applesauce (recipe below, you can also use pre-made sugar-free applesauce)
For the pumpkin puree:
- 1 or 2 medium pumpkins
- 1 glass of water
For the applesauce:
- 3 apples of different varieties
- 125 ml of water
- the juice of half an orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the flavored cream cheese:
- 125 gr of butter at room temperature (ointment)
- 125 g of icing sugar
- 200-250 gr of cream cheese type Philadelphia
- Home Chef fruit pastes, for sale at Cookiteca (for these I have used raspberry paste and sour apple paste).
- orange food coloring
- Cast aluminum griddle or nonstick baking tray
- Halloween cupcake decorations
- cupcake tray
- Disposable pastry bag or alternatively a clean plastic bag
- cupcake nozzles
Homemade pumpkin puree:
- Cut the pumpkins in half and place them on the baking tray, add a glass of water and place in a preheated oven at 200ºC for 45 minutes. We take them out when they can be pricked without difficulty with a knife.
- We turn them over and when they are at room temperature we remove the pumpkin meat from its skin and put it in a blender.
- Blend until we have a puree.
- Put a clean cloth over a bowl and leave the pumpkin puree there for about 10-12 hours to remove all the water.
- Peel the apples and cut into cubes
- Cook in a saucepan together with the water, orange juice and cinnamon for 10-15 minutes until the water has softened and reduced.
- Mash with a fork and let cool.
Spiced Pumpkin Apple Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC and prepare the cupcake papers in the cupcake baking tray (if you don't have it, think that they will open in the oven).
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, yeast, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In the bowl of your mixer (rods or kitchen robot) you put the butter and the 3 sugars. Medium speed until creamy consistency.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well each time.
- Add the dry ingredients (the mixture of flour and spices) to the butter mixture, being very careful not to overmix, otherwise you will end up with a very hard cake!
- Add the pumpkin and apple purées and mix well with the wooden spoon.
- We fill the papers for the cupcakes 2/3 of their capacity.
- Bake in the central tray of the oven (without air, only with heat above and below) for about 18 minutes or until when inserting a toothpick or a knife it comes out clean.
- When they are ready, let them rest for about 3 minutes in the same tray as the cupcakes and then let them rest on a baking tray until they are at room temperature.
- When they are completely warm we can add the cheese frosting.
- Beat the butter with a stick mixer for about a minute on medium speed.
- Add the icing sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes if we have a traditional rod mixer or 2 minutes in Kitchen Aid at medium-high speed.
- Add the cheese just taken from the fridge and mix just until it is integrated at minimum speed (if we go overboard the cream will cut).
- Add the fruit paste or coloring and mix with a spatula or spoon.
Decoration of the cupcakes for Halloween
- We put the cream cheese in the sleeves with the nozzles and decorate the cupcakes as we want.
- We decorate with the toppings of the Halloween kits and that's it.
If it is not hot they can be kept out of the fridge for a day, in the fridge they last about 3-5 days although the cream cheese can take on a strong flavor of butter if they are too long but since they contain so much sugar they will be perfectly preserved.