Fideua from Gandia
As happens with paella, there are many places that claim the invention of fideuá, in what if they all seem to agree is that it was the creation of some fishermen who were on the high seas and forgot to bring rice, so in the face of oblivion they decided change the rice for noodles.
One of those places that is awarded the creation of the fideuá is Gandía, and following some of its rules we have prepared the following recipe, we hope you like it.
for 4 people
For the stock:
- 1 leek
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- Prawn heads and monkfish bones
- extra virgin olive oil
For the fideua:
- 2 slices of monkfish
- 12 prawns
- 12 red prawns
- 200 g of noodles number 2, 3 or 4
- 1 tablespoon of chorizo pepper
- 2 tablespoons of concentrated tomato
- 4 tablespoons of crushed tomato
- 1/2 onion
- 4 garlic
- 500 ml of stock
- extra virgin olive oil
- The first thing we have to prepare before making the fideuá is the fumet. For them and first of all we are going to peel all the prawns and prawns and we are going to reserve the meat on one side and the heads and shells on the other. We are also going to cut the monkfish into cubes and reserve the bones together with the prawn heads.
- In a cooking pot Professional 20 cm we add a splash of extra virgin olive oil and sauté the vegetables previously cleaned and cut into pieces. We are stirring until it begins to brown. Next, we incorporate the remains of heads and shells of prawns, prawns and monkfish that we had reserved and we also fry while crushing the heads so that they release all their juice. We have to get it to be lightly roasted to transfer that flavor to the fideuá.
- Fill the pot with water and cook over low heat for 20 minutes after it starts to boil. Let's skim if necessary.
- It is necessary to keep the fumet hot and then add it to the noodles.
- We put our fire paella pan BRA Infinity, we add three tablespoons of olive oil. Add the garlic and let the oil aromatize with them, remove them when they turn a light golden colour, do not throw them away, we will use them to make the aioli.
- Next we are going to brown the noodles, we put them in the paella and toast them, we have to stir them without stopping to prevent them from burning but if they take on a nice brown color, we remove them and reserve them.
- Add the monkfish that we are going to brown slightly diced, just let the color change, remove and reserve.
- Chop the onion very finely and fry it. When it is well poached, add one of the very minced garlic, together with the chorizo pepper and the concentrated tomato, fry for 3 minutes and add the crushed tomato and let the sauce cook well, about 10 minutes approximately.
- Then we add the reserved toasted noodles, pour in the fumet and cook over high heat for 4 minutes. We must try to have the oven preheated to 210ºC in the gratin option.
- After three minutes we introduce the paella pan in the upper part of the oven for 3 minutes, enough time for the broth to have been consumed and our fideuá to be at the perfect point.
- Remove from the oven after the time has elapsed and serve accompanied by an aioli.
Photos and recipe by MJ .
… Y que hacemos con las gambas y langostinos ?