One of the recipes that has become a classic at home is the veal fricassee . I remember it with special affection because it was one of the dishes that my grandmother prepared for us that came out better and she has passed the recipe on to my mother and from my mother to me. And since I never want it to be lost, I pass it on to you too.
The sauce and the quality of the meat you use will make the difference in this dish. My grandmother always prepared it a day in advance, it really shows a lot in the final result because, as in almost all dishes with sauces, they improve after several hours.
For 4 people:
- 500 g of veal meat (contraculata or fin)
- flour (to coat the meat and 3 extra tablespoons for the sauce)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions or one large
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 ripe tomato
- 3 glasses of red wine (or sherry)
- 1 bag of mushrooms (we have used mushrooms from San Jorge or moixernons and yellow trumpet, also known as camagrocs )
- Flour the meat and pass it through the cast aluminum pan with 2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil. We do it very little, back and forth (then it will be done as soon as we make the sauce). We remove and reserve.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic (you can use a mincer) and fry them in the same oil that we used for the meat, over a very low heat so that it cooks little by little without browning. Once the onion is transparent, we will add the grated tomato and leave on the fire until the sauce is well confit (about 15 – 20 minutes).
- Add the meat to the sauce and leave it on the heat for a minute. Add a tablespoon of flour to thicken and a glass of wine or sherry, stir for a few minutes, add the mushrooms and add another tablespoon of flour and another glass of wine again, stir for a few minutes and repeat adding another tablespoon of flour and another glass of came. We salt and pepper
- Let everything cook over a very low heat for about 40 minutes and we already have the fricando clever.
- As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I advise you to prepare it a few hours in advance, it is best to prepare it from one day to the next.
- You can accompany it with a little white rice, mixed with the sauce you will have a delicious result!