A classic Easter cake, without frills or figures, except for the typical feathers and chicks. Normally they are served accompanied by a boiled egg, and we are going to serve it with a boiled egg and with a chocolate egg.
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1 egg to paint the monkey
- cane sugar
- chocolate eggs
- Feathers and chicks
For the preference:
- 50 g of strong flour
- 5g fresh yeast
- 30 ml of warm water
For the mass:
- 200 g of strong flour
- 5g fresh yeast
- the preferment
- 2 eggs M
- 70g brown sugar
- 40 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of an orange
- a pinch of salt
- The first thing we are going to prepare is the preferment. To do this, undo the fresh yeast in a jar with warm water. Stir with a fork until completely dissolved. We incorporate the flour and mix, it is not necessary to knead much, simply that both ingredients are well integrated. We shape it into a ball and let it rest for 30 minutes submerged in warm water until the ball floats.
- Let's go now with the dough of our traditional mona. In a bowl, pour the flour. Crumble and add the fresh yeast. We incorporate the preference.
- Add the slightly beaten eggs, together with the sugar, the orange zest, the extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and knead with the dough hook at medium-low speed until all the ingredients are integrated and the dough is loose. of the walls.
- We will have a sticky dough, but it is normal.
- Spray a bowl with a splash of olive oil, put the dough in this second bowl and form a ball with it. Cover with a clean cloth or plastic wrap and let stand until doubled in volume, about an hour and a half.
- After the resting time, we make two equal parts.
- Paint the work surface with a little oil. With these quantities we are going to get two small monkeys, for approximately three people each.
- As a template we are going to use a couple of saucepans bottoms of the 16cm Efficient collection that, apart from being able to cook with them, are great as a mold for making biscuits and bread.
- Make a couple of balls and put them in the pans, we do not need to add any fat, its non-stick surface is ideal and nothing sticks without the need to butter or grease.
- We make a hole in the center and place a boiled egg in the center of each mona. Brush with beaten egg and let stand for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC option up-down.
- Put the sugar in a bowl and add a few drops of water, mix with your fingers and see how the sugar becomes lumps. We booked.
- We repaint our monkeys with beaten egg and put the wet sugar that we had reserved on top.
- We bake for 15 minutes.
- If we want to put chocolate eggs we have to make sure that the monkeys are completely cold.
Photos and recipe by MJ .