Grilled Chicken with Lime and Cilantro Mayonnaise with Roasted Butternut Squash
This week's recipe is one of those that can be used to apply to many of your dishes, from meat to vegetables. The touch of lime and cilantro in the chicken makes this hot dish refreshing and invites us to enjoy it during a weekend potluck with friends.
We suggest that you buy a good free-range or organic chicken and that you prepare the mayonnaise yourself at home. You already know that when it is hot we must be more careful with the raw egg and try as much as possible that the egg does not touch the outside of the shell.
Let's go with this recipe that we have taken from Donna Hay's magazine:
For the Lime Roast Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 60ml lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fleur de sel
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- ground black pepper
- 1 chicken of about 1.7 kg
- 800 g of pumpkin cut into pieces (you can also use sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
For the coriander mayonnaise:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 250 ml of sunflower oil
- 1 cup of about 250 ml of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- The rest of the lime juice that we have not used for the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 250ºC. Put the grated lime skin, 2 tablespoons of lime juice (we save the rest for the mayonnaise), coarse salt, garlic, ground coriander and pepper in a bowl and mix well.
- We cut the chicken into two halves and with the help of scissors we remove the back bone. We make 8 longitudinal cuts in each half of the chicken. Put both halves, skin side up, in one non-stick oven pan .
- Rub the powdered cilantro-lime mixture over the surface of the chicken. Put the pumpkin in the same saucepan (if it fits or in a separate one), pour a little olive oil on top, sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and roast until it is toasted on the outside and well cooked on the inside, for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is in the oven, we make the mayonnaise.
For the Cilantro Lime Mayonnaise:
- Put the egg, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper in our mixer glass and beat until well mixed. While the blender is running, add the sunflower oil very little by little, in the form of a fine thread (for this we will use a oil can like this ), we continue beating until the mayonnaise has formed well and has a creamy and thick texture.
- Separate 150 g of the mayonnaise and add the coriander leaves and the rest of the lime juice.
We serve the chicken with the pumpkin or roasted sweet potatoes along with the cilantro mayonnaise.