It's always a good time to make an apple pie. These American-style ones are characterized by the fact that the apples are made inside the dough while it cooks in the oven, which makes things much easier.
So that the apples do not soak the dough too much, they are smeared in a mixture of sugar and flour or cornstarch, so that they are creamy inside. The ideal? Serve them with a little ice cream if they are served hot, or with a little semi-whipped cream if they are served at room temperature. In any case, they are delicious. I have prepared them in small molds so that you can see different options for decorating them, but you can simply make a large one.
For the mass:
- 325g flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 210g butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg
- A few tablespoons of cold water (optional)
For the filling:
- 25g of butter
- 225g brown sugar
- 20g of flour
- 65 grams of water
- 7 apples
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons pearl sugar
- In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add the cold butter cut into cubes and with the help of your fingertips or a food processor, mix at low speed until there are no whole pieces of butter.
- Add the lemon juice and the egg and mix until the dough has formed a ball. The dough will have a smooth texture. If the dough doesn't come together add a couple of tablespoons of cold water (you may need up to 6 depending on humidity and flour), but I didn't have to add anything. Divide the dough into four equal parts.
- Extend each piece and with three of them cover the bottom of a 16 cm Efficient low saucepan . Trim the excess dough and join it to the other part of dough. Form a ball and spread it between two baking papers. Return the molds and the rolled out dough to the fridge. Meanwhile prepare the filling and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Peel the apples and cut them into thin slices. Reserve in a bowl.
- In a saucepan Efficient put to heat the butter. When it starts to boil, add the brown sugar, water and flour. Let it boil for a couple of minutes.
- Pour this syrup over the apples. Remove the molds from the fridge and fill with the apples.
- With the other plate of dough decorate the cakes, I have decorated one with strips, another with circles cut with pastry cutters and another cutting some small hearts, but you can decorate it as you like.
- Paint the tarts with the egg white mixed with the water. Sprinkle with the pearl sugar on top and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until the tarts are golden brown. Serve while still warm or with a little cream or vanilla ice cream.
Photographs and recipe by Loleta .