Many times when we want to accompany our second vegetable courses we have to be inventive and come up with whatever it takes to avoid falling into the usual routine. You can prepare this dish a couple of days in advance (I know I always tell you the same thing but it is really worth it because the flavors mix and everything is much tastier).
It is a very simple dish to prepare, the only thing we will have to do is roast some slices of aubergines, the rest is all prepared and is to assemble the cake, have the exact point of salt and pepper and that's it.
Let's go with this recipe for eggplant cake with peppers, cheese and tomato accompanied by a pesto sauce.
- 3 large aubergines, cut into 5mm slices
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 80 ml crushed tomato (not fried)
- 900 gr (2 cans) of strained piquillo peppers
- 450 gr of stracchino cheese (if you can't find it you can use mozzarella)
- 2 cups basil leaves
- watercress leaves
- pesto sauce ready to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- We divide the aubergine into two parts and roast them on a oven-safe non-stick griddle . Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and repeat with the other half of eggplant.
- We reduce the oven to 180ºC.
- We take our mold, in this case a low cast aluminum pan Efficient and arrange the aubergine leaves horizontally, overlapping them 4 cm one from the other.
- Add a layer of crushed tomato, another layer of peppers, another layer of cheese, basil, more eggplant, salt and pepper. We repeat the operation two more times ending with a layer of eggplant.
- Fold in the remaining eggplant layers and bake for 40 minutes or until the cheese begins to bubble.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Flip the pan over and cut into individual portions.
It can be consumed both cold and hot.