This rich ham and sweet cheese sandwich is one of those recipes that you will repeat over and over again on many occasions, because it is ideal as an appetizer, snack or even for breakfast. It is based on a ham and cheese sandwich, but bathed in a mixture of eggs and milk, which makes it very juicy and soft. You can play with your imagination and make it with chicken because the secret is in the caramel that gives this sandwich a unique flavor.
- 3 spoonfuls of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 loaf of sliced bread
- 6 eggs
- 300 ml of milk
- Salt and pepper
- 250 g of cooked ham
- 250 g of sliced cheese
- Over one efficient baking tray put the sugar with the water. Bring to a boil and let the sugar melt, forming a golden caramel. Reserve.
- In a bowl or deep plate, mix the eggs with the milk. Season.
- Dip a slice of sliced bread in the milk and egg mixture and place it on top of the caramel on the baking tray. Continue until the entire bottom is covered.
- Place a layer of sliced cheese and another layer of cooked ham on top.
- Repeat with another slice of bread until finished. The last layer should be bread. Pour the remaining mixture of eggs and milk over the bread.
- Bake at 150 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- When the cake has curdled, unmold. It can be served hot or at room temperature.
Photos and recipe by Loleta .